Creating a windows console app main use would be for validators. Any interest?

Hi everyone, first time posting in the builders section. I decided to write an app, mostly for myself, but realized it will help others, so I thought I would create a topic here. If this interests you at all, please let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

Here are the details so far.

The app will offer options on the main screen for checking your…

-Validator
-main chain info

So as example, a user will be able to choose Validator, then either enter their ip address or their key and retrieve all sorts of different information such as Role, BeaconHeight, shard id, or the route response out. I’ll also have an option to query for custom json data

I’ll have options to check PRV current pricing and other statistical data.

If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them. Eventually I was thinking of adding sending/receiving and trading functions as well as options to select was server you want to use. So for instance a user running their own full node could run the app on their own PC and make all trade and calls in the console easily, communicating with their own node.

I’m also going to be writing a small Android app for pricing alerts, at least to start, and then maybe will expand. But this way users can know when PRV hits a certain price and then open their wallet to make a trade.

2 Likes

This seems like a great idea but I think most people would prefer android + ios w/push notifications for certain events.

I’m wondering if your windows app could be a full wallet app? Now that would be remarkable and the private key could be much more secure than a web wallet.

PS–You can get rewarded well for this if people value your contribution. Each month there is a vote and good projects earn a LOT of PRV.

Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely plan to add more and more functionality to it will be looking in to wallet functionality, but I have to build up to that. I am also going to see if i can have desktop notifications for windows.

Yes, i will try and have an android app slapped together in the next few weeks with some of the basic but necessary functions like price alert. iOS i am not sure, never wrote an ios app before so we’ll see.

I think I read the builders rewards ends in December but yes, that would be cool to earn PRV especially since my wife thinks I’m wasting too much time on this stuff, lol.

1 Like

Cool. Maybe others here will have some feedback. Whatever you build make sure to contact the team (ning or ducky probably) and also look at the “marketing post” of other projects so you can get it in the right format. I also heard they are asking for monthly updates and possibly video updates.

It will be up to the people with trust level 3 (aka “regular”) next to their name to vote for you. So far each person gets 3 votes per month.

Hi @brico84, it’s so nice to see you come up with an idea for the community!

Because you’re sharing your idea and seeking for some more suggestions from others, so the Community/Idea category could be the right place for the post atm. Once you’re ready for an execution plan aka proposal, then post it in Builders/Community.

Thank you! :black_heart: :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks Ducky. I was actually trying to follow the proper instructions and did what it said in this post here, Community builder rewards program. You should update the post to be clearer so others don’t make the same mistake I did.

Sorry for posting in the wrong spot.

Honestly don’t know what you mean by “ready for an execution plan aka proposal”. I have already written most of the windows app and will be starting the android app this weekend. I didn’t know I was supposed to come up with a formal proposal just to make an application.

2 Likes

Hey Brico,

Oh my bad. I should have updated this point properly earlier, so this couldn’t make you confused. Sorry for this inconvenience. I’ll adjust it now. Thank you! :raised_hands:

Ah I mean a post with some delivery dates for your products/features. It shouldn’t be so serious for this post, just sth to make it clearer and intuitive for users.

• What is your product?
  • Why do you want to build it? And why do you think it’s helpful for other validators.
  • What features will you ship? Any ETA?

You can browse through the Builders/Community category and pay a visit to other builders’ proposals for sake of reference. :blush: :raised_hands:

1 Like

Here’s a screenshot from the main menu of the app. As you can see its a simple, lightweight console app. The idea being a simple tool for those working in windows environment, to run alongside your SSH connection, to get data from validators and fullnodes on the incognito chain in a quick and easy way. The user simply runs the executable and chooses the options.

The user is able to query their validators by key or by ip address. They can quickly choose options like “role” to get the role being returned by the validator, or they can obtain the full json raw response, or enter a custom result request if they want more advanced options. So good for complete beginners and those more experienced.

User’s will also be able to quickly obtain the beacon height of their validators and of fullnodes to compare.

It should work with pNodes and vNodes though I haven’t tested with my pNodes yet. Still way in the alpha stage but hope to have a beta version to download in the next few days and when that is available I’ll do a main post in the builder section.

Anyone have any suggestions of what they might like to see added if they have interest in using a tool like this?

Please post any ideas here. Now’s the perfect time since I am still forming the main functions.

1 Like

Why don’t you clear the menu just before the result, so they don’t stack up ?
1)2)3) can be run in another thread, data will be updated every X seconds and the user will still be able to use the menu .

Why is a console app not a GUI with basic interface, it could be hidden in the tray menu and you can monitor everything at once?

You will struggle alot, just saying
sending is easy the easy way (with sending private key to the node)

Would you share watch language do you code on ?

1 Like

@petkomiko994 thanks for the feedback.

The reason I don’t clear the screen since its in a command console i can scroll up to check a result i had previously in the session. But will consider your suggestion.

The reason why its not in a GUI is because there are already several web based tools that use GUIs. I made this mainly when I was having some issues with my vNode and the basic tools out there didn’t give me enough information. I access my vNodes via SSH on my windows PC. The console app provides the same style interface but instead of having to type out lengthy curl commands and manually parsing json responses, i made the app to help me. When i solved my problem i modified it slightly to be more user friendly for other people.

It is not meant to run in the system tray, its a diagnostic tool, at least right now. But I like that idea for the future if there is a reason to keep it running in the background (maybe to provide price alerts on the desktop?)

This tool was written in C++

1 Like

You can buffer all the results and print them all at once you will be able to easily find what are you looking for

This doesn’t matter, we wouldn’t have PRV, ETH…, other blockchains basically (Devs : Why we would make blockchain Bitcoin already exists?)…

If the tool is enough to the job i want, would use desktop app instead of web based tool (but that’s me)