Coins Conversion and Big Changes in Privacy V2

This topic explains why you need to convert coins as a pre-required step right after upgrading the app to the latest version (v4.5.0) to be able to see your assets’ balances as well as highlights the main breaking changes introduced in Privacy version 2. A primer and some-what high-level introduction has been given in this series of posts.

Why do you need to convert coins?

When the first time you open the app (v4.5.0) on your phone, you may see all balances are zero in the assets tab, don’t be freaked out, this is just because your coins are still in V1 and they must be converted to V2 to be shown correctly as before.

For more details of the conversion, please look into the topic which explains what a conversion transaction is and how to convert coins by using Incognito app or CLI tool.

Big changes

New Base58 Encoding

With Privacy V2, you will see that your keyset will be slightly different in its representation due to the change in the base58 encoding algorithm. This change is for compatibility with other library implementations. The blockchain accepts both of the encoding algorithms, so users DO NOT have to worry about their old key being unusable.

Payment Address

For a transaction of version 2, users MUST use payment addresses of the new version. For example, the old payment address

12RpL8rXcD78Qc8sD3FBdDafpH6oCUyTv5Zx79H9tYHYsKzLwto8h8wM9gpHrKb1SSuZfBrQR6FhRjdyi1U1zeUw8oxVTDnm4gPMixm

should be replaced by the new (longer in size)

12saz5eCUAiWowYdWnwwsnSgs8rt68GGwjxrYfaGKj54C6BUo7ZBYdfLM9gLUwYGLbn5z7HHa3uRYRF9Yhy3T65e1f1KXUb9sksUJAojavdeJLhuyaFPGNKfjQokYQ1yepRMCb5GSAr9sqDN3KeR

both of which are generated from the private key

1111111Cp1sVYpn5RMCh3PzC467CzFFub3YRB4CuGQ39vjSn3FscaWfLe7JnfGGBMLoMkbph81ArwZvhXCsUSD7gEZTAPmzc8woPWWE3N1B

More about this can be found at this post.

pDEX Metadata Disabled

Some of the pDEX metadata types will no longer be supported after the Privacy V2 checkpoint takes effect. Here is a summary of them.

Before V2 BreakPoint After V2 Break Point
TradeReqs 91, 205 205
ContributionReqs 90, 204 204
TradeRPCs handleCreateAndSendTxWithPRVTradeReq, handleCreateAndSendTxWithPTokenTradeReq, handleCreateAndSendTxWithPRVCrossPoolTradeReq, handleCreateAndSendTxWithPTokenCrossPoolTradeReq handleCreateAndSendTxWithPRVCrossPoolTradeReq, handleCreateAndSendTxWithPTokenCrossPoolTradeReq
ContributionRPCs handleCreateAndSendTxWithPRVContribution, handleCreateAndSendTxWithPTokenContribution, handleCreateAndSendTxWithPRVContributionV2, handleCreateAndSendTxWithPTokenContributionV2 handleCreateAndSendTxWithPRVContributionV2, handleCreateAndSendTxWithPTokenContributionV2

See more RPC examples here.

Outcoins

1. The RPC listoutputcoins should be replaced by listoutputcoinsfromcache to make use of the full-node’s cache. The latter can return output coins v2, while the prior cannot. See more about this at here, and here.

2. The output coins returned by the listoutputcoins or listoutputcoinsfromcache have their structure changed from

type OutCoin struct {
	PublicKey            string `json:"PublicKey"`
	CoinCommitment       string `json:"CoinCommitment"`
	SNDerivator          string `json:"SNDerivator"`
	SerialNumber         string `json:"SerialNumber"`
	Randomness           string `json:"Randomness"`
	Value                string `json:"Value"`
	Info                 string `json:"Info"`
	CoinDetailsEncrypted string `json:"CoinDetailsEncrypted"`
}

to

type OutCoin struct {
	Version 			 string `json:"Version"`
	Index 				 string `json:"Index"`
	PublicKey            string `json:"PublicKey"`
	Commitment       	 string `json:"Commitment"`
	SNDerivator          string `json:"SNDerivator"`
	KeyImage         	 string `json:"KeyImage"`
	Randomness           string `json:"Randomness"`
	Value                string `json:"Value"`
	Info                 string `json:"Info"`
	SharedRandom		 string `json:"SharedRandom"`
	SharedConcealRandom  string `json:"SharedConcealRandom"`
	TxRandom	         string	`json:"TxRandom"`
	CoinDetailsEncrypted string `json:"CoinDetailsEncrypted"`
	AssetTag			 string `json:"AssetTag"`
}

Notice the JSON tag CoinCommitment is changed to Commitment, and SerialNumber is changed to KeyImage.
More about the differences between an output coin v1 and v2 can be found here.

1. For full-node owners or anyone who wants to check output coins and balances via full-node, it is RECOMMENDED that you submit your OTAKey to the full-nodes BEFORE any output coins v2 arrives. This means BEFORE the first conversion transaction, or BEFORE anyone sends you an output coin v2, or maybe RIGHT AFTER you read this note. This inconvenience is because the Privacy V2 does let the full-nodes record your output coins unless you ask them to do so. The submission is required to make sure your output coins and balances will correctly acknowledged by the full-nodes. In case you forget to do this, you have to perform the submission in an enhanced manner. You can find out more about how to submit keys via these RPC examples.
15 Likes

Excellent! Thanks for all your work!

2 Likes

Help me? I’m a new user and can’t convert my crypto to prv. The required fee to do so is in prv. I saw another user with a similar problem and a mod said they would send a bit to them so they could do the initial exchange. My address is 12sp3k2MiYLxhXLsL6gF5JxBuknkrBYYpeKuFuHMMH6PBswV42SHDHksnQv9ysmudiemJCDbSLqi5iUbPuGkM1u3kArT3b1oy1N2AFkETfjgufF7tgqcYuZTfbPHsU18M2niwZg6CkouF6C6oDcR

Use GetPRV.com

3 Likes

Hi @incognitouser,

We have just sent you some PRVs. Please double check your account.

1 Like

Thank you. How long until it shows up usually?

About 1-2 minutes, I guess.

got it thanks

1 Like

You’re welcome!

1 Like

Thank you all for the hard work

2 Likes

I just updated the IOS app, and started converting my coins. The PRV converted just fine, although now I cannot locate them anymore (they are neither located under “Assets” or “Convert coins V1”. The LTC and XMR failed to convert entirely, apparently because I didn’t have PRV to spend anymore (Not enough coin to spend for fee WEB_JS_ERROR (-5). I’m lost here… Is there someone who can help me out?

1 Like

Hi @ChC,

Can you give us your v2 address?

1 Like

12smkJAUL9A3TqWmH7F8YjsrCrmxzTg7CPxRaZEmkzzUpXPT94qtEpRgi3JBpKfB6xJVk2jdP2QWcNivDeNx8puJ7pvcWDyzExJ9siFAHRE2Zpq8jZoWjmtZhAJq5uWczFegihzvHKNEqb5dsH2C

Hi @ChC,

Can you go to Settings => Clear balance cached and re-load again?

Ok, I tried that, but nothing seems to have changed…

Hi @ChC,

Please check your account again. Everything looks okay now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sure does- Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, do I have to transfer coins from pStake to V2?

No you don’t have to. You can convert them to V2 next time you withdraw the staked fund.