Are validators pinned to shards?

I’m just curious, not sure if it’s just a coincidence or if nodes are now pinned to shards, but I’ve noticed that my node has been validating on the same shard for the last three periods I’ve been in committee.

In short, yes.

1 Like

Cool. I didn’t see that listed in the update notes so I was a little curious. Are there any circumstances that would cause my node to migrate to a different shard?

If your node is slashed for any reason, after re-staking it will be randomly assigned to a shard.

Side Note: If you your node has data under other shards, than the one currently assigned, you can delete it.

1 Like

Jared - I guess we have to stop the the docker first, delete the previous shard data and then restart the docker?

No need to stop, you can delete out unused shard data.

Ok, thanks for getting back, Jared. Initially, I deleted that shard folder without restarting the docker. A few hours later, I noticed that my active shard (shard 2) was stalling. I then restarted the docker. Post restart, the vnode got back online but shard 2 was still stalling. Is this caused by some other problem? I have another docker image running on that same vnode which hasn’t reported any shard stalls so far.

If it is still stalling then you can bootstrap it with this:

1 Like